Have you been writing, now it is time to publish. See call for two book chapters below.
History of Social Work Book
ISBN : 978-1-77920-449-3
We cordially invite you to submit your draft book chapter for our ongoing book project titled
History of African Social Work
This book will be published in June 2021. See information and templates below about what to include in your chapter.
About this book and potential chapter topics
The history of social work in Africa has not been adequately documented. The ASW presents an opportunity for social workers from African countries to document how social services, social welfare, social work and social development evolved in their countries. Having this history document is an important step in decolonizing the profession and making it more authentic.
Specific sections to include in your chapter are:
- Types of social services and social welfare that existed before present day professional social work
- How social services, welfare and social work education and training developed in your country
- History of social work institutions and associations in your country and their roles
- Social work regulation (if available)
- An overview of social development services in your country and the current involvement or position of social work
- Biography of people who contributed to development of social services, social welfare, social work and social development
- Any other relevant sections
Your chapter must be between 15 and 20 pages in total, single-spaced. See templates below.
|Receiving draft chapter||Extended, still open|
|Receiving chapter feedback||TBA|
|Revised chapters submission||30 March 2021|
|Publishing of book online||30 June 2021|
|Publishing of book online||30 July 2021|
Ubuntu Social Work Book
We cordially invite you to submit your draft book chapter for our book project titled
UBUNTU SOCIAL WORK
This book will be published in December 2021. See information below about what to include in your chapter.
See further details below.
This is a textbook of social work expected to be used for first year level teaching and learning of introductory social work subjects. Areas to cover include Introduction to Social Work; Philosophical Foundations of African Social Work; History of African Social Services and Social Work; Understanding African Social Challenges; Knowledge Base/Sources; Introduction to Research; Indigenous Social Work; Process of Social Work; Domains, Principles, Methods and Ethics/Values of African Social Work; Methods; Principles; Community Work; Rural Development; Development Work, Social Development, Understanding Society, Understanding Individuals, Family Work, Social Welfare, Political Social Work, Fieldwork, Fields of Practice and Teaching and Learning Social Work. Textbook 2 and 3 will be published in December 2022 and June 2023 respectively. These will cover second year to final year level social work subjects respectively.
Writers are asked to use ubuntu in two ways (1) theoretically and (2) pedagogically. This means that your theoretical framework must include one or more of the several ubuntu frameworks, and your teaching and learning philosophy or strategy in the textbook chapter must be ubuntu inspired.
Each chapter should be 15 – 20 pages long (single-spaced) in total and should cover these items:
- Author name, affiliation and autobiography
- African quotation of proverb, short story, song or popular saying
- Learning objectives (4-8 dot points)
- Philosophical, theoretical framework/s or both
- Main content (use suitable subheadings, include 2-4 short activities, 2-4 case studies)
- Lessons (4-8 dot points)
- Summary of lessons (4-8 dot points)
- Questions (4-8 dot points)
- Potential research topics or questions (4-8 dot points)
- Definition of key words
- List of references (15-25 references including journal articles, government reports, books. Please prioritise African knowledge sources)
- Bibliography of other available sources (not more than 15)
|Receiving draft chapter||30 March 2021|
|Receiving chapter feedback||To be advised|
|Revised chapters submission||To be advised|
|Publishing of book online||December 2022|
|Publishing of book online||To be advised|
Each chapter will be between 15 and 20 pages in length including references
Putting book ideas to life.